I'm a dog and I'm on pacemaker #2

Hi there, I am Maggie, a six year old Border Collie. I had my first pacemaker when I was two. I have third degree heart block. I had a Medtronics Kappa. Today I had a Medtronics Sigma implanted. OK. By now you have probably figured out that my mom is writing this for me. We used to have the screen name Maggies Mom, but we've changed it to Snipsnapper. Anyway, if you are interested, you can read my story on this site, if you can find it! But, like I said, I had my second PM implanted today. My incision site is still a little sore. My stitches come out in 10-14 days. My old PM was on battery saver mode and was beating at a steady 65 bpm, but I was still able to run around like a nut, swim and the like! That's gotta say something good about the folks at Medtronics! Anyway, I've got 70 months on this PM and I'm looking forward to using it.

If you want to write to me, please do at snipsnapper@msn.com I can tell you all about the wonderful things I can do with my PM. And no, this is not a joke. You can research me online by googling pacemaker, border collie, twiddler's syndrome (yeah, I had that too and had to have TWO initial PM surgeries). I'm a superdog -- and it's all because of the folks at Colorado State U Vet Hospital and my mighty PM.

Signed,
Maggie (the Mighty)


11 Comments

Live Long & Prosper Maggie

by maestro - 2007-06-21 06:06:32

Great story.

Best of health to you, your persons,
and your health care providers.

Medtronic makes good stuff, doesn't it?

Medtronic Maggie and Me

by Jeffia - 2007-06-21 06:06:36

At first I thought the story was someone pulling my leg. Reading on, I realised it was for real!

We need to thank our animal friends for their assistance in health matters, as often they have been the first recipients of experimental devices. This time the benefits have come back to help an animal.

It's great for Maggie to have a PM and for the vets at the Colorado State Uni to learn so much from Maggie the Mighty.

My Golden Retriever puppy, 9 month old Toby says WOOF!!!

Yours in wagging tails,
Jeffi

Thanks, you guys!

by snipsnapper - 2007-06-21 06:06:53

Thanks for the kind words. As a matter of fact, I did help the docs at CSU (and maybe people doctors, too) learn the value of sewing in a pacemaker. My first one wasn't sewn in and I was so active that it twirled around inside of me. It being placed near my shoulder bone didn't help matters much. I am the only reported dog to have Twiddler's Syndrome. I even got written up in a worldwide vets' journal because of it -- however I'd rather have been famous in other ways! Anyway, a stitch here or there can be helpful.

Right now, I am trying to be good and not be too active. It's not easy to do. This rate responsive PM is great. It makes me feel as if I can herd a whole bunch of sheep.... by myself!

A bark out there to my Aurora CO buddy! I live in western Colorado. And Hi to Toby!

Way to go Maggie!

by Stepford_Wife - 2007-06-21 11:06:12

That is the most uplifting pacemaker story I have ever read.
I am so happy that this modern technology is also being applied to help man's best friend.
It just amazes me, how well animals can adapt to any challenge that is put in front of them, without complaints.
It looks like Maggie is in for a full, happy, and healthy life.
Thank you for sharing her progress with us. You are a great pet parent.
I am looking forward to hearing more about her recovery.
Good job Maggie! You sound adorable. Enjoy a good life, SUPERDOG!
Here is a BIG smooch from me.

~ Dominique ~

P.S. I'm from Aurora, Colorado.

devices in animals

by luckyloo - 2007-06-21 11:06:29

dear maggie,

is your vet the one on animal planet?

was your PM donated by a person because they passed away? i heard humans can do that. before they are cremated the PMs and ICDs have to be removed. these devices otherwise go to waste. humans can donate their devices to veterinarian universities like michigan state.

i'm happy to hear you are doing so well!

hugs,
luckyloo

Dominique

by snipsnapper - 2007-06-22 10:06:24

That is great to know. There are so many good veterinarians in Colorado. We are fortunate!

Animal Planet Vet.

by Stepford_Wife - 2007-06-22 11:06:43

Hi Luckyloo.

The clinic you are referring to, featured on Animal Planet, is the Alameda East Veterinary Hospital. It is located in Aurora, Colorado, about 4 miles from my home.
A very state of the art animal hospital.

~ Dominique ~

My Pacemaker

by snipsnapper - 2007-06-22 11:06:59

Hi Luckyloo,

My pacemaker was fresh out of the package. It had passed its FDA expiration date for use in humans, but it still was working and had 70 months of life on it. So, now it is all mine. All for the price of $92. My other PM, the Medtronics Kappa, was recalled by the FDA because some people experienced having frayed leads IF the PM was implanted under muscle. Anyway, you are right that some dogs get PM's from cadavers. I think it is cool that they get put to use, but I'm glad that I got a new one!

My vet, as far as I know, has not been on Animal Planet. Her name is Dr. Janice Bright. She's a board certified cardiologist and professor at Colorado State University.

Signed, Maggie the Mighty

Sunshine the pacemaker dog.

by Stepford_Wife - 2007-06-23 10:06:01

Hi Maggie.

I was browsing around the Internet, and I came across the story of another fortunate pooch, who was fitted with a pacemaker.
Her name is Sunshine, she has been through a lot, as you have. You might be interested to read about her story.
Her experiences, symptoms, diagnoses and treatments, could be very helpful to you.
Her website is: www.jcwren.com/sunshine/
Who knows, you two could meet someday!
Take care, Max says meow.

~ Dominique ~

Thanks for the info

by snipsnapper - 2007-06-25 12:06:14

We'll look Sunshine up. Thanks for the connection!
Have a great night. By the way, how long have you had your pacemaker?

Bye Bye Folks

by snipsnapper - 2011-10-19 01:10:02

Our Maggie passed away after a full, long, wonderful life. Her heart, full of other woes that a PM could not fix, could not hold out any longer. She had a bad murmur, a leaky valve.... but still had lots of love for her people.

She will be missed by my husband and me. Her zest for life inspired us every day. All the best to you all.

You know you're wired when...

You can feel your fingers and toes again.

Member Quotes

I am no expert, but I believe that without the defibrillator that I have, I would be dead.