What happened and why??

Hey everyone, I'm 28 next month and I've had my pacemaker for 4 years. Earlier I was cooking dinner on the stove. I was stirring Mac-n-cheese with a metal spoon in a metal pan and all of a sudden when holding the spoon it felt like my hand was cramping up. I tried touching it a couple more times before I realized that the spoon was actually shocking me! I thought maybe it was just a quick static shock but it did it a couple more times when I touched it again. It wasn't just one little shock like when you have static built up, it was a constant "vibrating" type shock. I had 3 other people come over and try to touch it and it did nothing to them. I changed spoons, and it still happened. What could be the reason behind this? I've cooked nearly every night with metal pans and spoons since I've gotten my pacemaker and this has never happened. Could there be something wrong with my pacemaker that's causing it to shock me? Is there something wrong with my stove and since I'm already "electric" I'm the only one who is getting shocked by it? Could it have damaged my pacemaker? It was on my right hand, the opposite side that my pacemaker is on. I went around touching other various metal objects and nothing else shocked me like the spoon did. I'm a worry wart so this has got me very concerned. 
thank you everyone. 


9 Comments

Shocking

by AgentX86 - 2021-04-14 01:03:55

I don't know what it is but it not your pacemaker.  It might be a grounding problem with your stove.  Call an electrician.

Thank you

by robinclaire93 - 2021-04-14 01:30:40

Thank you for your answer, it confused me because it did not shock anyone else. Do you know why it was only shocking me? 

Was this a gas stove or electric stove?

by quikjraw - 2021-04-14 05:14:29

If it was a genuine electric shock static or flowing then it would mean that you were forming an earth when others were not. 

As AgentX said you need to establish if your stove is properly Earthed. An electrician can establish this. I am assuming that your stove is electric.

If your stove is gas you could still have a problem with earth or even the electronic ignition.

If it is an electrical problem with the stove then you may have felt it as you were better earthed than your family. In other words you might have been barefoot and your family might have had shoes or slippers on.

If it was a constant shock and not temporary that is a real sign that there is something not right with your stove and it could be very dangerous not to get it sorted. An earth fault normally trips an RCD protecting you from dangerous currents so if it is not tripping then that is even more dangerous. 

 

"you may have felt it as you were better earthed than your family"

by AgentX86 - 2021-04-14 14:10:24

It may be something as simple as your hands are moist or theirs are very dry.  Some year/decades ago, my MIL was complaining of getting shocked by her clothes dryer.  Both my FIL and I looked it over and saw/felt nothing unusual.  I opened the entrance panel and nothing was amiss in there.  At that point we sorta rolled our eyes but it kept happening and my MIL essentially went on strike until it was fixed.  Thinking that the problem was an induced voltage or static electricity, somehow, I attached a wire from the dryer's case to the cold water pipe in the laundry. A bright flash came from the entrance panel.  A 30A fuse all but vaporized.  Hmm.  I opened the entrance panel and all was OK.  The only thing left to check was the outlet itself.  Sure enough, some moron had swapped the red and green wires.  The case was wired to one of the hot legs.  The case was connected directly to 120V.  The house had been wired that way since long before they owned the house.  MIL was happy after I fixed it.  The clothes were drying in half the time too.  ;-)

I'm not saying that this is what's happening to you but it is reasonable that some would feel it and others not.

Still confused..

by robinclaire93 - 2021-04-14 15:33:25

Thank you to those who have commented. Quikjraw - what was strange is yes I was barefoot, but so was my dad. It did not shock him. He came over and picked the spoon up and held it upright and told me to touch it again, I did and didn't get shocked but after a few seconds it started shocking me again. He got a different spoon for it, asked if I could use it, I started stirring again and it seemed to be okay but again after about 30 seconds that one started shocking me too. I had been using the first spoon for about 20 minutes and then suddenly it started shocking me. 
I understand what everyone has said and it makes sense, but I wasn't the only one who was barefoot. The only different thing about me is that I have a pacemaker. 
 

AgentX86

by robinclaire93 - 2021-04-14 15:37:05

I'm glad you were able to get your MILs appliances fixed :) our hands were all dry, no dampness, and I was barefoot but so was my dad and brother who also touched the spoon. That's why I was so confused about why it happened. The only thing different between me and them with the spoon shocking me is I'm female and have a pacemaker. 
I appreciate your answer and story, thank you! 

stove

by dwelch - 2021-04-14 21:50:24

Its the stove, stop using it or stop using that burner/pad.  It might kill you next time.  Not good to test it on other family members next time as it can hurt you or them.  As stated you might have more lotion or moisture or whatever that other folks that tried it didnt.  You might know the magic location or whatever to hold it they they are not.

I assume this is induction, but even if it isnt there are less likely possibilities.  An inductino stove is something you want to keep your pacer away from, although in theory its not enough of the right metal...Some quick googling it may be possible to interfere with the device.

the device cant make your hand cramp up and vibrate.  if there were a crack in the insulation or the signal was too strong you may feel other muscles in your body contract with the heart beats when the pacer drives the beat, at your heart rate.  

What was your other hand touching?  Did you feel it in both? Barefoot in a puddle of water?

 

 

Still confused

by AgentX86 - 2021-04-14 22:56:42

We're all different.  Some have moist skin and others have very dry skin.  Dry skin dosn't conduct electricity well.  I know electricians who test circuits with their fingers.  They can feel it when the touch a hot line but it doesn't hurt them.  They're their own voltmeter.

still worried for you

by quikjraw - 2021-04-15 12:18:26

Hi Robinclaire

I am still a little worried that you may be focussing too much on why it shocked you and not your family. 

You have to at this stage work on the basis that there is something wrong with your stove and rule that out first.

As dwelch said, if there is no electrical fault with your stove it could be due to it being an induction hob?

John

You know you're wired when...

Friends call you the bionic woman.

Member Quotes

The experience of having a couple of lengths of wire fed into your heart muscle and an electronic 'box' tucked under the skin is not an insignificant event, but you will survive.