Question

  • by pacie
  • 2009-04-07 04:04:52
  • ICDs
  • 2211 views
  • 9 comments

One of the members asked some questions about the shock of an ICD while holding a baby or driving, etc. I am going to ask again because I would like to know too. Can some of them be so powerful that the baby could be dropped or you could wreck the car or cause an accident? It IS something to think about, huh? Thanks for the input.

Pacie


9 Comments

Shocking question>>>>>

by kcruz - 2009-04-07 05:04:23

The answer to your question is yes. I can remember the first time I woke from my first shock........... lets just say it I am glad I have a sense of humor because it knocked me off the toliet. The next 2 were in a car, although not driving the friend I was with new i had been shocked as she felt it and said it was like when you touch some one after walking across a carpet. I also remember and I don't know if others have experienced this but when I was alert for the next 4 I saw a flash of blue light, like that when you pull a plug from a socket, and a funny taste of metal in my mouth.

Ouch!!!

by pacie - 2009-04-07 05:04:30

I don't think it would be wise to drive with an ICD, what do you'll think? Or are people who have these allowed to drive? I don't have mine yet. Will be getting one soon.

driving

by kcruz - 2009-04-07 05:04:57

Most people can drive, I know where I am at they have guidelines and if your device goes off, you aren't allowed to drive for 3 months from the last shock.

Hi Pacie

by Brendakt54 - 2009-04-07 11:04:19

When are you getting your ICD? I go Thursday, 4/9. My first one. I think it's called a CRTD. I could be wrong.

Brendakt54

To pacie & kruz

by Katielou - 2009-04-08 01:04:56

Hi pacie, I drive with my ICD, but here in England you have to be 6 months clear of shocks before you can become mobile again. I must admit that when a shock hits me it's straight to the floor so if I was holding anything I wouldn't have any control. I believe that most people get a little warning and can prepare.

Kruz, I was very interested to hear your comment about the blue light. It happened to me in my office when I felt ill and my pc suddenly glowed with a glowing bright blue flourescent light - really weird.
You're the first person I've heard of who has also experienced this.

Also had the metalic taste in my mouth and then I was slumped across the desk. Didn't feel the shock though!!

Take care,
Lesley

Hi Brenda

by pacie - 2009-04-08 08:04:02

I have to have an ablation first for my WPW. My heart failure has just been newly diagnosed so he said that he is going to keep an eye on everything, keeping the 'one thing at a time' attitude. He has me on some meds for this to see if he can keep it at bay for now. So I really don't have a specific date for it yet but he said it's in the near future. I have been through the wringer lately with health problems. Whew!!! I'll just be glad when things settle down and I can get some energy back. I'm simply worn out:( Thanks for you guys' input and support. It helps.

Pacie

hi

by lb151 - 2009-04-08 08:04:39

I didnt drive by choice after my first shock. Now I always drive on the right side of the road so If I feel faint I can stop or pull off. Most times you feel faint or really,really bad before a shock...and yes,if you are standing and holding anything,you will come to your knees!
Brenda,,did they say an AICD by chance? Most doctors use that term.

shock jock &pacie

by curly - 2009-04-30 05:04:10

hi pacie i was shocked last april while in the bathroom. i did not have any signs it was going to happen. iam going to tell you that i was lightheaded and i felt a shock in my chest.i went to e.r.and it happen again.ifelt it did not hurt too bad but it frightened me .i would ask doctor if you can drive and ask what is your lifting limit is because of the leads in your chest.i did have bad anxiety but i am getting better.i think the shock was due to too much caffiene. i have given it up since.i hope you never recieve a shock and good luck yours truly curly

May drop something

by johnb10000 - 2009-05-14 08:05:33

My last shock occurred while I was standing by the toilet peeing. I managed to get it all in the toilet and finished peeing befor I got a second shock.

A few years ago I was feeling lousy and ran across the street. When I got to the other side I dropped the newspaper and drink I was carrying.

The shocks all occur when I feel lousy and usually stay home.

My doctor says it is OK to drive. I do leave extra room between the car in front of me and drive in the lane where it would be easy to pull over.

You know you're wired when...

You have a high-tech ticker.

Member Quotes

Do feel free to contact the manufacturer of your device. I have found them to be quite helpful when I have had questions and concerns.